In November 1853, the Church of Christ in Manchester was organized by 24 charter members. They met every Lord’s Day behind the Acme Store on the South/East corner of Manchester & Nimisila roads (now the Chandler House) in a barn no longer in existence. They then planned for a church building, which was erected the following year at 6248 Manchester Rd. This building was used until November of 1961, when the present building was dedicated and put into use.
In January of 1959, a stewardship drive was launched to raise money for a new house of worship. Land was purchased at 930 W. Nimisila Road for the location of the new church. Under the leadership of George Dawson, a goal of $10,000.00 was set for the first year of the building fund drive. Brother James Vestal came in Sept. 1960. On May 1, 1961 the ground breaking services were held. There was over $21,000.00 on hand and an additional $65,000.00 had been secured from the bank for construction of our $81,000.00 building. Cornerstone laying services were held July 9, 1961.
On November 19, 1961, the first worship service was held in the new church building at 930 W. Nimisila Road. In the afternoon a special dedication service took place and the sanctuary was full and over flowing. Many members had participated in all phases of construction, from cutting the footer through rock for the foundation to putting on the roof. Doing this saved many thousands of dollars. In 1968 an additional educational wing was added to the church facilities, expanding to compensate for the additional growth. The latest physical addition to the church property has been the Family Life Center, which was built in 2003. The FLC houses a gymnasium, a sports office, two classrooms, and the “Reel Kidz ” worship area.